[1941-43] Land reclamation to form Kindley Air Force Base, St. David's



The reclamation was carried out by the US Army by levelling Longbird Island, and smaller islands at the North of Castle Harbour, infilling waterways and part of the harbour to make a land-mass contiguous with St. David's Island. This added 750 acres (3 km2) to Bermuda's land mass, bringing the total area of the base to 1,165 acres (4.7 km2).

The airfield was completed in 1943, and known as Kindley Field after the Great War aviator Field E. Kindley.

The land has been variously used as an airfield, a US Naval Air Station and latterly as the site of Bermuda International Airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related articles.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts