[1957] Eisenhower and Macmillan in Bermuda

In January 1957, President Eisenhower invited British prime minister Harold Macmillan to a meeting designed to improve relations recently strained over U.S. criticism of the British role in the Suez Crisis. From 20 to 24 March, the two leaders met in Bermuda to demonstrate publicly their friendship—they had served together in North Africa during World War II—and to discuss privately their differences over Middle East issues.

  

Macmillan later wrote about President Eisenhower during the 20 minute ride to the Mid Ocean Club, after meeting and collecting him from the Civil Air Terminal in Bermuda: "He talked very freely to me - just exactly as in the old days. There were no reproaches - on either side; but (what was more important) no note of any change in our friendship or the confidence he had in me. Indeed, he seemed delighted to have somebody to talk to. In America, he is half King, half Prime Minister. This means that he is rather a lonely figure, with few confidants. He told me very frankly that he knew how unpopular Foster Dulles was with our people and with a lot of his people. But he must keep him. He couldn't do without him."


2 comments:

  1. Affordable Loan To Get Your Financial Problem Solved { Clydesdaleloancompany@yahoo.com }

    Hello everybody, I am Tarsha Dannis Bank, from Mississippi ,Ontario USA. I am a widow at the moment with two kids and i was stuck in a financial situation and i needed to refinance and pay up my bills and buy a house here in Oklahoma. I tried seeking for loans from various loan lenders both private and corporate but never with success, and most banks declined my credit. But as God would have it way, i was introduced to a lender Called George Clydesdale by a friend named Adam Ken Fisher who got a loan from them and contacted them as instructed and to my greatest surprise, i got a loan sum of $349,000.00 and today am a house owner and my kids are doing well. So my friends, if you must contact any lending company with reference to securing a loan with low interest rate of 3% and better repayment plans, contact George Clydesdale Loans LLC ( Clydesdaleloancompany@yahoo.com ) He offers all kinds of loans You can contact him through his email via: ( Clydesdaleloancompany@yahoo.com ) or Tel: (347) 708-8926 or visit there webpage http://georgeclydesdaleloans.bravesites.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Related articles.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts